Did you know that there are roof-scammers who try to lure victims with their scams? These are roofing scams. KCG has roofing contractors who can inform you about these fraudulent tactics that hurt innocent people’s wallets. The best roofing contractors in Brandon FL are available for you to trust.
What’s a Roof Scam?
Every year, roofing scams seem to be a common victim. These scams leave homeowners with no money and a poor roof.
Scammers often target homeowners who are budget-conscious and want to manage their home repairs without spending too much. These con-artists are often drawn to neighborhoods that have a high number of seniors, older housing stock, and areas that are susceptible to major storms or have been recently. These con-artists prey on the fears of people that their homes may be in danger, or that trustworthy home improvement companies are too costly. Scammers often do quick work using low-quality materials or simply take the money and run.
Keep an eye out
It can be difficult to identify unethical roofing contractors in Brandon FL. However, there are clear warning signs that you should look out for. These are common roofing scams to avoid.
- Storm chasers
- After a major storm, homeowners who are worried can become easy victims for scammers. Storm chasers are roofers who travel to the affected roofs in search of damage. They travel door to door, handing out leaflets, and offering repairs or replacements for roofs that look damaged. After a major storm, the contractor convinces homeowners they can get a brand new roof at a significant discount. The roofer is paid, the homeowner receives a new roof, and the insurance company worth billions cuts a check. All win, right?
- This is how to avoid falling for this scam. Storm chasers will attempt to exploit your anxiety after a storm and insist that you rush to do anything. Instead, be patient, get references and insurance in your area. Also, verify the license status of the roofer. Finally, visit the Better Business Bureau to check if any complaints have been filed against them.
- The Low Start Bid
- Contractors may offer you a temptingly low price. This is often much lower than the average contractor in your local area. However, once work starts, the price can rise due to “unforeseen issues” or higher material costs. Although roofing materials costs can fluctuate, contractors shouldn’t try to raise prices in the middle or end of a project.
- Avoid this scam: Do your research and speak to several companies about their pricing strategies. Talk to your contractor about everything and make sure you include any potential snags in the contract. Long Roofing offers a single price, which includes both labor and materials.
- Mystery Damage
- Even after a major storm, your roof looks like it is in good shape. One day, a roofer comes knocking on your door. He claims he couldn’t help but notice damage to your roof. The roofer points out some damage you don’t see but he says it is a red flag. He may even offer to look at the roof closer.
- Avoid this scam: Don’t trust the Good Samaritan driving by who spots severe damage to your roof caused by a moving vehicle. You can get a second opinion if you believe there may be something to the claim. You should never allow a stranger to your home or sign a contract that is based on high-pressure, out-of-the blue sales tactics.
- Insurance fraud
- A contractor may attempt to commit insurance fraud in a number of ways. One way is to submit two invoices to insurance companies. The homeowner will receive a smaller invoice, while the insurer will receive a larger invoice. This is fraud, and you could face prosecution. Contractors will sometimes claim they can get enough money back by overbilling your insurance company so that your deductible is refunded.
- Avoid this scam by paying attention to what they are saying. These can be indicators of fraud if a contractor offers to cover your insurance deductible, or other incentives at no cost.
Contact us Today
You can trust us as roofing contractors. We are trusted by the residents of Lithia to provide the highest quality and most reliable service. KCG Roofing is the best roofing company in Brandon FL. Contact us for more information.
This post was written by a roofing professional at KCG Roofing. KCG Roofing is a premier roofing contractor that does Brandon roofing! KCG Roofing has the experience and expertise to replace or repair your roof with quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. All our roofs are backed by a 15-year leak-free guarantee, the highest in the industry. We have been family-owned and operated for over 40 years.